Although the community of Wilmer dates back to the 1850s, the city of Wilmer is relatively young, incorporated in 1945. At the time, the population had reached a grand total of 450 residents; it would be another four years before a volunteer fire department was formed, and the city purchased its first fire engine. Since then, Wilmer has become a strategically positioned city with an abundance of available land and location assets.
As new business has flowed into Wilmer, responsive leadership combined with responsible management has helped the city maintain a welcome home for both residents and industry. In accordance with its incorporation under the state’s government code, the City of Wilmer is governed by a City Council comprised of a Mayor and five Council members elected at large for staggered two-year terms.
While the Council is responsible for the city’s annual operating budget and the adoption of various rates and regulatory ordinances, it also works closely with appointed city staff including the City Administrator, City Secretary, and Municipal Judge. Close collaboration is also the hallmark of the Council’s relationship with the City’s active commissions and boards, including Wilmer’s dual Type A and Type B Economic Development Corporations.